Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Mochi Balls!

"Perhaps one of the greatest treats in the world" to quote a few of my good friends (including myself), I have finally gotten around to writing about these delectable goodies. First off, mochi can come in many different forms and flavors as the word "mochi" just refers to the sweet rice cake outside. The one which I recommend for everyone to try is a mochi ice cream bon bon. You can find these at many Japanese restaurants or if you are lucky enough to have an Asian market in your town, you can find them in a packaged form made by a company called Maeda-En. These come in a box of six and in such flavors as green tea, strawberry, vanilla, chocolate, mango, and red bean. I highly recommend strawberry, green tea or red bean. I would describe these treats as a sweet, soft bite of rice and ice cream which instantly melts in your mouth. Whenever I get someone to try these for the first time, they are completely thrown off by the texture but always come back for more. Last but not least, these little balls which are made almost entirely of ice cream are not actually that bad for you. I have always known Japanese desserts to be a little bit on the bland side, but they make up for it by having the best after-dinner snack in the world.

Big thanks to my friend Benton for introducing me to these little balls of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment